Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The Snack That Haunted Me

**This has been sitting in the vault since July for some reason...




On my very first trip to Puerto Rico as a young girl there were so many new experiences.  A new culture, new places, new relatives, and of course, new food. 

I remember going to visit some of our relatives who lived up high on a mountain side.  Complete with a fence part of the way down so that if you fell you couldn't roll too far.  Or at least that's why I thought it was there.

I remember our hostess, who I think was a cousin of some sort, being very pretty and she served us the most incredible snack.  Which made me like her even more. *grin*

It made such an impression on me that I have wished I could have more of it ever since then.  It truly has crossed my mind several times a year for the past 20+ years.  What was in that snack?

One day recently I was trying to decide what to have for a snack for the kids and I thought of that elusive snack again.  If only I could replicate that snack, then they would rise up and call me blessed.

I thought about it and decided to go ahead and just use some ingredients that I thought looked like it.  Crackers, tuna fish, and salsa. 

It did not sound very appealing to me.  Not to mention the fact that I am very picky about tuna fish. I was hesitant to take my first bite.  But when I did a party took place in my mouth.  That was it!  Or at least it was close enough for my memory's sake. 

So simple and it had been right in my cupboard for years.

This really is a yummy snack and it could even pass as part of a light lunch.  I just can't believe that it took me this long to figure it out. 

Photobucket

0 comments: