Monday, June 9, 2008

Monkey See, Monkey Do

Attention: If you have a thing against feet, well other people's feet (like me-usually), you may not want to read this... :)

Okay, little known fact about Jo Ann, she can pick up many amazing things with her toes. Richie declares them to be monkey feet because I get good use out of them. He basically thinks it's abnormal to be able to spread my toes as far as I can. I think he's just jealous... ;)

I prefer to think of it as a blessing and have been very happy to see that Caleb has inherited this trait. He's currently learning how to pinch with his toes, a family game passed down from my mom. :)

Anyway, when you're nine months pregnant and the thought of bending over one more time to pick something up makes you shudder, it's especially handy!

Samuel dumped the crayons all over the floor the other day and I helped him pick them up. Instead of bending down, I used my feet. He was intrigued! He just stared at the process and then laughed. I decided it would be quicker if I just sat on the floor and helped and that was it. Or so I thought.

Last night before bed, the crayons were on the floor again and I told him that they needed to be picked up. The first thing he started doing was picking them up with his toes! He was successful and mommy was so proud cheering him on!! Daddy just stared in disbelief.

Once again, I am reminded of the weighty role as a parent. What else are my children picking up from me? When my kids do something that I find unacceptable, is it mimicking a behavior they've seen me exhibit before? Becoming more Christ-like always feels more urgent, more pressing. I desire to be more like Him, He desires me to be more like Him, but these impressionable minds need me to be also.

I find myself falling short so often. Having to apologize to God and the kids for my behavior. Letting them know that what I did or said is not okay, that mommy messes up too. That's the only thing I know to do, to be real with them about my many shortcomings. I don't want them to look back one day and think their mom was a hypocrite. Or worse, that it would turn them off from the things of God.

You know, people talk about their ministries or callings all the time, but it seems like it's so often forgotten that our own children are our greatest ministry. We have a calling to our families. Their are people all around us that we probably don't view as a "ministry", but God has placed them within our sphere of influence. What do they see when they see me? Do they see Jesus? Do they hear Jesus? Do they feel Jesus?

Lord, help me. Cleanse me, Father, and change my heart. Help me to be more like You, that others would feel Your love flow out of me when I am with them. That I would be a light to my children and that they would know You and be in relationship with You. Help me to be the mother and wife You have called me to be and that they need.

1 comments:

Karen said...

right on....those 3 precious ones...you are their primary ministry ..."churchie" stuff will always be there...they will not...go girl......